Follow by Email

Sunday, 8 November 2015

As I write this chapter, it is now March and I have soooo much to catch up on reporting. I apologize to anyone who is wondering how things are developing, but a LOT has happened in a short period of time.

Picking up where we left off, we signed up for the Sail Magazine Snowbird Rally, and found ourselves needing to make haste for Hampton, VA where the rally started November 1. Unfortunately we got pinned in by a weather front, which delayed us a few days. As we finally attempted to leave, miscommunication and poor planning got the best of us and we ping ponged off a few pilings, exchanged some choice words among crew, and decided we needed a day to calculate a better plan to combat the wind and current. ROOKIES!

 As we toiled around the dock, working on minor maintenance, and chores a miracle was sent from heaven, in the way of a visitor from a neighboring boat. Turns out they had the same boat as us, and just got new canvas. They offered us their old bimini and dodger. Given it was November, and we had NO dodger, this was an incredible gift to us! Words could not express our gratitude, and they would take nothing in return. In tears, we assembled the gift over the companionway.

Next day came, and we had a brief meeting to discuss strategy, before pulling off the dock near flawlessly. We headed out Back Creek, even stopping for fuel ALMOST like we knew what we were doing. As we turned southerly down the Chesapeake we quickly began to wonder if another day waiting might have been wise? We were greeted with a 10-15 kn south wind banging us on the nose. The result was 2-3 ft seas, bouncing us up and down, up and down. We hung with it for about 4 hours, thinking we were making some good time. Once we pulled into Ship Wreck Harbor and calculated distance made good, we weren't overly proud of the 17 NM we made. None the less, it was our first day on a new to us boat, and the beer was cold when we settled in.

Next morning we got an early start and headed south to Solomans Island. We made it about 29 NM further south. It was a calm day and the water was almost flat. We even managed to sail the light winds for a good portion of the day. Once in Back Creek we dropped anchor just off the Tiki Hut and settled in. Of course a round of drinks at said Tiki Hut was a MUST. Solomans Island is a highly recommended stop along the way. Quiet little town with people as friendly as they come.

Day 3 we headed out in spite of small craft warnings. I needed to catch a flight home for business reasons, and we had a lot of miles between us and Norfolk International. We were quickly reminded of the adage, 'never sail with a schedule'. We made it about 3 miles out, where we got tossed, bounced, and spun. We made the decision to come back in, and got tilted over pretty good, with a wave on the beam as we made our turn. With two days of rough weather on the forecast, and me having to catch a flight the next day, we checked into Calvert Marina to leave the boat and my crew, while I headed out. At this point, my son Daeyten decided he could no longer take the bounce of the Chesapeake, and decided to head to Norfolk with me, to stay with friends, until we arrived there. Hence, Leanne, and the dogs toughed it out alone in Solomans, through 20-25 kn winds.

Off to Toronto I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment